Living in Cornwall means we often hear stories of people who go swimming in the sea, only to look up and find they have drifted a long way from where they thought they were – sometimes only noticing they have drifted into potential danger after the lifeguards show up!
It is similarly easy to drift after making any new healthy choices, back to our old unhealthy habits. The scientific term for this is “behavioural drift”. Drift is common in our western world around our food, fitness, feelings or faith because it is often far easier, cheaper and more convenient to make unhealthy choices than healthy ones. For example:
- Chocolate, cake and biscuits don’t spoil as fast as fruit and veg, and our brain craves sugar.
- Our brains are hard-wired to conserve energy, so ‘moving more’ than is absolutely necessary by taking the stairs instead of the lift, requires effort.
- Negative thoughts that once could have offered protection from harm by retrieving memories of dangerous physical environments, now retrieve negative thoughts that impact our relationships.
- Spiritual disciplines like reflection and prayer can be tough when there is always so much to do, leading us to become more ‘human-doings’ than ‘human-beings’.
We can avoid drifts in the sea by understanding:
- where we can swim safely,
- where any currents are likely to take us, and
- keep regular checks on some predefined landmarks to always know where we are.
In the same way, we can avoid or overcome behavioural drifts by being intentional about:
- putting ourselves in the direction of good and healthy options,
- intentionally avoiding negative and unhealthy options, and
- regularly using facts and data to check in as to ‘where we are’ in relation to where we want to be.
If you want to start on your own journey towards being more intentional about your health then why not download our FREE Intentional Health journey workbook by clicking the picture below, to help you understand where you are on your journey to living a healthier, happier life.
If you want to help us prevent sickness, save lives and inspire healthy communities by equipping people to avoid the drift that means 75% of us will have our lives cut short or severely impacted due to poor health, you can do that by becoming an Intentional Health Church Partner, Angel or Prayer Warrior.
And as always, if you found this post helpful or inspiring, please share it so others can benefit too! and please do tell us how you are avoiding unhealthy behaviour drifts!